This week’s parsha is Vayeira. As usual, a lot happens here: Abraham hosts three angels, who predict Sarah becoming pregnant. Sarah laughs. The angels rescue Lot from Sodom as it burns, while his wife turns into a pillar of salt. Yitzchak (Isaac) is born and has his brit. Then Abraham is commanded to sacrifice his precious only son, but is stopped at the last moment and brings a ram caught in some bushes nearby instead.
- Go through the parsha with Adventures in Mamaland
- Make a welcome sign for your door or house, or a welcome mat (here’s another one).
- Try a parsha cake (these are hospitality and the ram caught in the bush from juggling frogs)
- Make rock candy to symbolize Lot’s wife as the pillar of salt (and it doubles as a science project on crystals.)
- Make an edible akeidat Yitzchak (chinuch.org link uses mini marshmallows, pretzels, and licorice)
- arrange a lunch or “tea” with some kids with my kids as the hosts (like Avraham Aveinu). They will get together the menu and prepare the food. This has all sorts of other lessons tied in, too!
- Look for ways to do chesed (chesed meals like for a new baby, hosting someone, making crafts for and/or visiting a nursing home, donating toiletries to a shelter, etc…)
- how about salt encrusted fish or salted potatoes for Shabbat?
- Make colored salt and salt art
What are you up to this week?