Mmmm…I just made these with my kids for a party. They are really good! I made them completely non-dairy this time, but they could have lots of dairy, too, depending on how you like them. Basically, it’s a doctored cake mix chocolate cupcake with a whipped peppermint buttercream filling and chocolate ganache on top. Yum!
(makes 24 pattycakes)
Preheat oven to 375 F (ish)
Cupcakes (or use your own chocolate cake batter)
- 1 box devil’s food cake mix
- 1/4 C unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 C oil
- 1 1/4 C water/milk/soymilk
- 3 eggs
Mix together until slightly lumpy. Then put into cupcake liners and pans–makes 24 filled about 2/3 full. Bake until slightly cracked and done (toothpick test). Cool on racks. While you are waiting, mix up the filling:
- meringue and water to equal 1 egg white (or 1 actual egg white if you prefer)
- 3 T solid fat: shortening, butter, margarine
- 1lb-1.5lb powdered sugar
- 2-3T milk/water
- 1 t peppermint extract (can change this to change the flavor of the filling–raspberry, orange, etc. Then you’d have to change the name of the dessert, though!)
Whip the egg white until soft peaks, and add in the fat. Whip until glossy, and then add sugar until looks a little dry. Mix in 2 T of liquid, and add more if needed of either liquid or sugar until desired consistency. I went for a whipped mousse consistency, so more airy than a pudding, but able to hold its shape. Put this into a ziplock or pastry bag.
When the cupcakes are cool, cut the tip of the bag off. Use it to poke holes in the cupcakes and squeeze in the filling until the top swells–you want about 1 T filling or a little more per pattycake.
Then top with ganache (see below). I would have piped it on, but my kids wanted to spread it, so we spread it.
- 2/3 bag (8 oz) chocolate chips or other chocolate bits
- 1/3 c milk/water (plus a little shortening for mouth feel if you use the water)
Melt the ingredients together, 30 seconds in the microwave at a time. Stir until smooth and use to top these pattycakes!
Enjoy the peppermint-y goodness!