Today, I septupled this recipe to make kugels to freeze. (Pretty sure that’s right – septupled? Seventhed isn’t right, so I’m going with septupled… 😉 ) One batch makes enough for about 1 9 inch square pan, to serve 3-4 for a main course or 6-8 for a side dish. Good for Passover, too!
Broccoli (or spinach) kugel (quiche) – parve
- 1 pound broccoli, checked and chopped, fresh or frozen (or chopped spinach)
- 4 eggs (or 3 if they are very big)
- 2T mayo
- 1 medium onion, chopped and sauteed until soft + 3/4 t salt and a few shakes of pepper
- (alternate seasoning: 1 T onion soup mix)
- (for dairy, skip mayo and add in 1/4 C cheddar, cottage, or other cheese, plus sprinkle with cheese)
Mix all ingredients together. Should be wet, with some liquid to pour, but not a soup! Spread into ***prepared pan(s)- see below for ideas.*** Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes, just until kugel is set and starting to get golden around the edges. Cooking time will vary by size. Freezes beautifully!
***Crust, if you like (here is good, easy, no-roll recipe) or spray your pans with oil and sprinkle in wheat germ or bread crumbs–we usually do the wheat germ for some extra nutrition and a nutty flavor. You could also do a riff on this brown rice crust, but without the cheese if you want to keep it parve. I haven’t tried it yet, but rice freezes well, so it sounds good! Or skip it all and just throw a little oil/spray oil in the bottom to prevent sticking.