You can’t get an entire household organized overnight. But you can chip away at it over time – attack different problem areas and even tighten up your system in the areas that are working. And just think how much better your home could be running if you took some time each day and did that!
My household is running pretty well overall, but clutter still builds and systems need adjusting to stay running and be better. Anyone with me?
In 2012, I’m planning to write a weekly series: a challenge! Each week will have an area and a series of tasks that should be your focus. Although I started this series in the secular new year, it will (of course!) be tailored to our Jewish homes and lives. It takes into account the holidays and helps you plan them out.
The challenge is something you can join in at any time, whether you’ve done previous weeks or not. Or if you missed a week or even fell off the bandwagon, just jump right back in. It may need some tweaking year to year since Jewish dates are different than secular ones, but the general gist is the same. Hop aboard whenever you catch us!
The idea is slow and steady progress, which leads to slow and steady–but noticeable and meaningful–change! Maintaining the changes will be easier than before. And I’ll be doing the challenge right along with you. I’d love to hear about your progress even as I post my own. We can motivate each other!
Bli neder, I plan to put up each week’s post by Sunday. Sign up for the e-mails (see the top of the page on the right side) to get the week’s challenge directly delivered to your mailbox!
Each month includes some weeks that are more planning (like your SBB) and some that are more physical (tackling clutter and making your entryway/mudroom work for you). Some weeks will take longer that others, depending on where you own trouble spots are. And I’ve gone ahead and put the holidays in, so you’ll be prepared when they come up.
Here is the general plan (expect some adjusting as we go, and links to each weekly challenge as it’s posted):
- Week 1: Goals
- Week 2: Setting up a working SBB (e.g. weekly and monthly checklists, menu planning, etc…)
- Week 3: Entryway/Mudroom
- Week 4: Shabbat
- Week 5: Family calendar and scheduling
- Week 6: Laundry room and system
- Week 7: Games and toys
- Week 8: Filing system/tax prep (optional: 6 weeks to go before Pesach checklist)
- Week 9: Guest room or area (optional: 5 weeks to Pesach checklist)
- Week 10: Purim (optional: 4 weeks to Pesach)
- Week 11: SBB recap, and check/organize little used areas (optional: 3 weeks to Pesach)
- Week 12: Menu planning (optional: 2 weeks to Pesach)
- Week 13: Passover cleaning your house (optional: 1 week to Pesach)
- Week 14: Pesach and the kitchen (optional: 3 days to Pesach)
- Week 15: Pesach week!
- Week 16: After Passover review and SBB update
- Week 17: Kitchen review and reset
- Week 18: Grocery shopping
- Week 19: Bathrooms
- Week 20: Magazines, newspapers, and e-mail newsletters
- Week 21: Shavuot planning and prep
- Week 22: Shavuot recap and getting back to real life
- Week 23: Refrigerator (inside and out)
- Week 24: Cleaning supplies
- Week 25: Shabbat (and Shabbat kitchen)
- Week 26: Family room or den
- Week 27: Books and DVDs
- Week 28: Mail, recycling, and filing
- Week 29: Vegetarian menu planning (9 days)
- Week 30: Fasting and related practicalities
- Week 31: Summer cooking ideas
- Week 32: Getting ready for school
- Week 33: Living Room
- Week 34: Rosh Hodesh observance, Elul spirituality
- Week 35: Back to school nightly routine and lunch stations
- Week 36: Relationships and address books
- Week 37: Rosh Hashanah planning, cooking, and prep
- Week 38: 10 days inspiration and work
- Week 39: Forgiveness and interpersonal goals, Sukkot prep
- Week 40: Sukkot
- Week 41: Sukkot wrap up, high holidays wrap up and SBB update
- Week 42: Routines
- Week 43: On the go: Purse, diaper bag(s), and cars
- Week 44: Coats closet
- Week 45: Kids closets and dressers
- Week 46: Master bedroom closets and dressers
- Week 47: Thanksgiving and gratitude
- Week 48: Hanuka preparation
- Week 49: Hanuka fun
- Week 50: Pantry and food storage
- Week 51: Toiletries
- Week 52: Inventory freezer, fridge, and pantry